Today I was in charge of the preschool snack, so yesterday I whipped up a batch of mini vegan banana muffins. Once upon a time, I thought that vegan baked goods consisted of hard as a rock carob cookies and bran muffins that taste like cardboard. Then I became interested in food and nutrition and the environment and such things, which eventually lead me down a path to plants. And trying to eat more plants. I began experimenting with vegan baking and discovered that in many recipes, eggs and butter are totally unnecessary. This is especially true for muffins and quick breads. These super delicious vegan banana muffins use minimal sugar and oil, but they taste amazing.
*Cooking Tip: Super Delicious Vegan Banana Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (I use Trader Joe’s brand, because it’s cheap and good)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup white sugar, or sweetener of your choice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extra
- secret ingredient: the zest of one orange
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 12 muffin pan (or two mini muffin pans) with oil.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients except the flour.*
- Add the flour to the wet mix and stir until just incorporated.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans. Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes (shorter for mini muffins), or until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean. Or until the muffins look golden and delicious. Do not over bake.
*Recipes will always tell you to mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl from the wet ingredients. It’s the proper way to do things. However, when I’m making simple baked things like muffins, cookies and everyday cakes, I throw caution to the wind and mix everything in one bowl. It took me years to discover this time-saving measure, because I’m a type A direction follower. I was amazed to discover that most things turn out just fine when mixed in one bowl.